Saturday, June 21, 2008

My Mother's Chicks.


My mom called me as I was driving home for the Thanksgiving Holiday.

"Russell! I need chicks!"

"whhaaa? chicks??"

"Yes, chicks. I need eight of them. I've called all the farm stores in Mt. Vernon and they have 'em. Eight Barred Rock chicks. I've reserved them for ya to pick up.""

"Mom, you can't reserve chicks."

"When you're driving through Mt. Vernon just pick them up. You know I can't buy them here on the island."

"I don't think I have time. I'll miss my ferry."

"Russell, just go get the chicks. Or else I'll take your tuition away!"

"Okay. Bye mom"

I picked up the eight Barred Rock chicks mom had researved; however, just to spite her, I also bought three extra chicks. One Polish chick and two Aracunas chicks. Not only will these three chicks stand out against mom's original army of eight, but in a few more months, once the chicks start laying eggs, mom will realize the butt of my joke: Polish and Aracunas chickens lay green and blue eggs. They're the "easter egg" laying chickens. HAHAHA...and mom hates eating colored eggs.

The photo above is the Polish chick who is now half grown. You can just see her eye under her hat of feathers.*

1 comment:

Ryn said...

Your life is so cool.